There are five things you should always have at the ready for the gym. If you always have to change at the gym then they’ll be in your big gym bag. However, I typically arrive at the gym straight from home so I carry a small makeup size bag in my purse with these essentials.
- The iPhone (or Android) and ear buds. Necessary because if you’re really there to workout you have to wear these to avoid long conversations that slow your workout. And of course, you must jam while working out!
- Resistance band, these are cheap so get your own. (Amazon – Resistance Loop Bands – Set of 5 Fitness Exercise Bands for Fitness Workouts – Stretching and Physical Therapy, by Flex Active Sports, $14.97).
- A heart rate monitor. ( http://www.wahoofitness.com) This is so you can get the most out of your cardio workouts by purposely elevating and slowing your heart rate. (See http://220.127.116.11/~ichellk9/burning-calories-or-high-intensity-interval-training/).
- A waist belt to hold your phone. This is better than an arm band because the arm band gets in your way if you’re training biceps or triceps. A waist band is the way to go!
- A combination lock. Not one with a key, that would be just another thing to handle.
PLAN YOUR WORKOUT
So you’ll notice in this close up of my phone I’ve got a workout listed on it. This is the best thing ever! I write various workout in Evernote. Then I pull up my workout for the day on my phone!! IT’S THE GREATEST THING EVER! You must have your workout planned before getting to the gym and Evernote is the key to this. It’s a free app.
You should always carry these items to insure you have your best work out possible. Music + heart rate monitor + workout plan + resistance bands = great workout!
What one item is your MUST HAVE?