SET YOUR NEW YEAR GOALS THIS WEEK!
Everybody, well almost everybody, gained weight during the holidays! And now we’ve got to get rid of them. To do that we need to set some goals…NOW!
You should set long-term goals, as in goals for this month, or year, if you have a lot to lose. But then definitely set what I call micro goals for the week (or more depending on your goal set time) and the following weeks. Micro goals accomplish bigger goals.
For instance…I’d like to lose ten (stinking) pounds! But that’s too much to lose in one month. One to two pounds is the max you should lose per week. So let’s say my first goal is to lose ten pounds in two months. That figures out to 1 and 1/4 pounds per week. That’s my micro goal. I want to lose 1 and 1/4 pounds each week.
Your next goal needs to include how your first goal will be reached. It can be reached solely by calorie reduction or exercise, but ideally it would be reached by a combination of the two.
Do you know your daily caloric requirement? Here’s how to figure it: go to http://myfitnesspal.com to figure your BMR (basal metabolic rate – the calories you’d burn each day if you did absolutely nothing.)
My BMR is 1,239 calories per day, but also on this app you can factor in your daily activities, for instance, I stand and walk all day while working so that burns more calories than a sedentary job burns. You can also add in your exercise. Another website is http://www.calculator.net
So reduce your daily requirement by 10-20%. But also factor in exercise! Yeah, buddy, burn some calories!! Walk, run, do a cardio class, lift weights, (this is extremely beneficial because muscle burns more calories, so it’s a double whammy for your system) plug a DVD in to workout with or find something on YouTube. There’s all kinds of options for exercising at a gym or at home.
The objective here is to WRITE DOWN YOUR GOALS! Then, micro manage those goals! Be realistic. Figure out how and what it will take to accomplish these goals. Plan, plan, and plan some more. Get your gear together, plan your meals, buy food and lunch boxes, get the DVDs or join the clubs, download apps for food journaling or step counting.
PLAN TO SUCCEED!
You cannot be vague about your goals for your body. Just saying, “I want to lose some weight,” won’t get you there. Have a goal for each day. Eat x amount of calories each day and burn x amount of calories each day. Weigh each morning right after you wake. Stay on top of this!
Buy yourself a journal or use your computer or phone, but record your success. For example, here are my goals:
- I want to lose ten pounds in two months. I need to lose one and one-fourth of a pound each week. I know by using a BMR calculator that I can lose one pound per week by eating 1,200 calories per day.
- I’ll work out 3 days per week with weights for one hour each time.
- I’ll add 3 cardio workouts per week of thirty minutes each which will burn approximately 250 calories each workout or 750 calories each week.
- I will record my food intake daily on MyFitnessPal app.
- I’ll weigh each morning and record my weekly weight loss on MyFitnessPal app.What will you do today to reach your desire body goal? Send me your first goal and tell my how you plan to achieve your success.